About Me

My photo
I am 20 years old at Springfield College. I started Crossfit in the winter of 2008 and have went on and off with that and P90x. But since the summer of 2009 until summer of 2011 I did Crossfit then switched to Strength and Conditioning. I Played soccer lacrosse basketball and ran track throughout my life. I played lacrosse at Endicott but I was injured and did not play the entire season. Another passion is strength and conditioning which has changed my life for the better. My midterm goal is to compete in a powerlifting competition, run an ultra and run the Boston Marathon, and my ultimate long term goal is to become a Strength and Conditioning coach, a lacrosse coach, and to open my own Strength and Conditioning gym as well as break the record for bench press at 165lbs bw. Along with training for my goals I enjoy pushing my body to its limits and seeing what the human body is capable of by doing activities that require a lot of physical and mental aspects.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

2012 New England Revolution Powerlifting Meet

Saturday 3/31/12 was my first powerlifting meet ever. I was not really nervous but more anxious and beyond excited for this to come. I have been training hard and I wanted to have it pay off. The morning started off by weighing in at around 7am. I weighed in at 161lbs which was great because I was competing in the 165lbs weight class. After that I ate some breakfast and drank some water and gatorade while discussing our plans for the day with Ben. I previously sent in my openers for each lift and I was happy with them so that was not a problem. Ben was my coach for the day and my filmer for each lift. I want to give a big thanks to him for all the shit he did because he was there to push what I thought I could do and it ended up working out better than I thought it would have ever.

The first list was the squat. My opener was at 325....funny story about that. Ben reads the flights and how they were going to work while I was warming up and he saw that a girl was opening at the same weight as me. He started giving me shit about it and we joked. Come to find out this girl was multi ply and I ended up jumping way past her after this lift. So anyways I opened with 325 and smoked it.


I then jumped to 365 which is ties my all time pr and once again I smoked it.


After that Ben said my bar speed looked good and that I should make another big jump. We tossed out some numbers including 400 and 395. We went with 395 and once again I nailed it with another 5lbs in me for sure. That is an all time pr for me as well.


Next was bench.....my favorite. I opened with an easy 250 which we both knew I was going to hit.


I had planned this long before in my head and decided I wanted 285 for my second attempt because I knew I could hit it and it would be a New England record. So I hit this very nicely as well.


My goal for the meet was to hit 300 for bench  but after seeing how I felt we decided 305 was the right weight. Once again this was a great decision on both of our parts and I hit this for an all time pr


The last lift was the deadlift.....my least favorite. I was nervous about my hamstring but that did not affect me and I am glad it did not. By this time I was smoked my preworkout was running low and I was starting to come down. Luckily I had some motivation from Ben my music and a little extra preworkout and protein. Keep in mind I just started sumo deadlifting because of my back. I opened with 335 and that was basically like a warm up rep for me.


We then decided to hit 400 for an 1100lbs total which was a goal that I wanted. I pulled this really well and it felt great.


The last rep of the day we wanted to hit a nice weight so we decided on 440. This is a pr for me with my new deadlift style and this was nice and easy as well.


So in all I went 9 for 9 with not one red light in any rep, I hit 2 lifetime prs and another new lift pr, I came in first in 165lbs weight class, and I set 4 New England records for 18-19 year olds in 165lbs weight class. Once again this wouldnt have been possible with out Ben there right behind me on every rep and having me make the smartest decisions possible. Nutrition wise I had a snadwhich from dunkins before the meet along with gatorade. Throughout the meet I had a scoop and a half od pre workout spread out the day, 2 scoops of whey protein, another gatorade, and a lot of water.

This is definitely what I want my training to be for. This makes all the long hours in the gym pay off with out a doubt and I cannot wait until I find my next meet.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome Dan. Simply Awesome!!!! Saw all the vid's and the form was flawless. Great job dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they call me coach hines. can't wait for the next one

    ReplyDelete