About Me

My photo
I am 20 years old at Springfield College. I started Crossfit in the winter of 2008 and have went on and off with that and P90x. But since the summer of 2009 until summer of 2011 I did Crossfit then switched to Strength and Conditioning. I Played soccer lacrosse basketball and ran track throughout my life. I played lacrosse at Endicott but I was injured and did not play the entire season. Another passion is strength and conditioning which has changed my life for the better. My midterm goal is to compete in a powerlifting competition, run an ultra and run the Boston Marathon, and my ultimate long term goal is to become a Strength and Conditioning coach, a lacrosse coach, and to open my own Strength and Conditioning gym as well as break the record for bench press at 165lbs bw. Along with training for my goals I enjoy pushing my body to its limits and seeing what the human body is capable of by doing activities that require a lot of physical and mental aspects.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Injuries and Supplements

I just wanted to take a little time to discuss my past injuries what happened and why it happened and what I need to do in the future to avoid injuries.

Well the first major injury that I sustained was when I broke my ankle sophomore year of high school. I did it during soccer and this is when I was really immature and thought that it was ok to "push through the pain" I ended up playing the rest of the season and half of basketball season on a painful ankle that I thought was just a bad sprain and I could get through. What I didn't realize was that it was not just going to go away. Eventually I went to the doctor got xrays and they told me it was broken and I had to take 6 weeks off. I would have only had to be out for 2 to 3 weeks if I listened to my body when I first injured it but I made it worse by playing on it so much.

The next injury is still a mystery injury I sustained it during lacrosse my senior year the first time. It lasted the rest of the season and into the summer and pretty much all of summer because I was stupid about it once again. I had 2 MRI's on it and nothing major was found. It was thought to be a muscle strain or tear that couldnt be seen or a ligament or tendon tear. I rested it eventually and got back to playing lax for the college season. I played al fall ball and a bit into the regular season with no pain and then one day after heavy deadlifting it went again. That officially ended my lacrosse career because I really was not into it in the first place and this injury just made my decision up I am more into crossfit and barbell work. I am still recovering from the injury but I am being much smarter about it building back up and I should be good soon yesterday I had no pain in the area after sprints for the first time in about a month and a half.

I recently got an elbow injury. my thought is because of overuse. I was at the end of the burpee challenge while doing 50pullups.com program with over 120 pull ups per week along with all the major lifts and multiple 2 a days of crossfit. I am not sure what this injury is but I am going to give it as long as it needs to heal and just focus on running which is my weakness so it works out I guess. My guess is that it has to do with the joint either tendon or ligament I am usually right when I self diagnose myself because I know my body really well.

All in all the common factor here is that each time I got injured it was because of overuse and over training. I think that once I get back from this injury I am going to really sit down and talk to someone about programming I always seem to over due it and push my body past my limits and I am done doing that because It is counter productive. It is time to listen to my body and actually learn how to make some serious gains with out risking injury. What I have learned to do is do what you can do when you are injured and live with it. Make gains in areas that you can and get proper rest and when you are good to go come back and hit it hard (within your bodies reason, which I learned the hard way).

I would also like to add the one thing that I do is that I program thinking about all of my goals instead of focusing on a few at a time which is why my volume is/ was so high and that needs to change. In a future post I am going to break my goals up into smaller sections and to complete at different times. I think this will help me stay away from overtraining therefore avoiding injury.

Supplements:

I also want to start adding what supplements I have been taking each day and how much of each.

In the past I took vitamin D3 2000 units a day and also between 5 and 8 fish oil pills. As of yesterday I took both of those out of my diet because I have developed a weird rash and I would like to see if that is what is causing it. I will reintorduce them once I figure that out.

Today I started to take a chewable tablet of glucosamine chondroitin and msm which is for my joints and cartilage hopefully helping my elbow heal faster. There has been studies shown that saw it also reduces inflammation in the joint which would be a beautiful thing as well. I am taking 1 chewable 3 times a day for a total of 1,500mg of glucosamine 1,200mg of chondroitin and 75mg of msm. I will update if I notice a difference in anything and if not I will finish out the supplement and not buy it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment